Thursday, June 2, 2011

Pav

I did some more baking. This time I decided to make some simple pav. I have tried pav before had over baked it. Though it looked rather pretty last time the pav itself was a little on the tough side. This time I cooked it right and also followed a slightly different recipe.
Ingredients
3 cups bread flour
1 to 1 and 1/4 cup water ( this will vary quite a bit based on humidity)
1/2 tsp salt (to taste)
1 tsp sugar
3 tbsp butter ( the next time I am going to try oil but I did not want to risk things this time)
1 and 1/2 tsp yeast or one packet of yeast
Warm the water so it feels warm to touch. Even slightly too hot and you will kill the yeast, the water should be only just warm. Add sugar and the yeast. Stir and set aside for 8 minutes.

Take a large mixing bowl that is convenient for kneading. I prefer to knead in a bowl, a lot of people seem to prefer a floored board. Whatever floats your boat is fine. Add the flour and the salt and mix thoroughly.

Add the proofed water, yeast and sugar mixture ( which should be all bubbly) to the flour and mix. The resulting mixture will be quite sticky. Knead the dough for 5 minutes until it is a little more manageable but will still be sticky. At this point add melt the butter and add it to the mixture. The dough will become a lot easier to knead :). Knead the dough for 5 more minutes. Shape into a ball and put it into a well oiled container. Cover and let the dough rise for an hour.
After an hour the dough should have doubled in the size.

Take the dough out and punch it down and knead a couple of times. Now form a long tube like shape with the dough. You can make up to eight well sized pavs with this mix. Cut the tube into equal portions with a knife and shape into pavs. Put them together on a oiled and floured baking sheet or cake pan. I used a cake pan this time but will probably use a baking sheet the next time since I think that would give me a more traditional pav.Cover the pavs and let them rise for 30 or so minutes. Brush the top of the pavs with egg whites. I do not like the smell of eggs and so I brushed the top with some milk.

Pav recipe. After second rise.
Preheat the oven at 350 F. Put the pav in and let it bake for 20 to 22 minutes. Check if they are done. They should have the beginnings of a golden colour on top. Brush with a little butter on top to ensure a soft pav

Pav Recipe. After Baking
Pav recipe. Closeup of texture. SoftLink

I was very pleased with the end result.

Edited to add.
I found this video from Vah Chef very helpful. It helps to get an idea about the texture you should be shooting for. I Looooove Vah Chef. The guy has an unabashed enthusiasm about food that is obvious in every recipe that he puts up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...