Saturday, September 10, 2011

Carrot Cake

Carrot cake is one my favourite cakes and since it has been some time since I baked cakes I decided to stick with a basic, popular recipe found here. It is not the moistest cake but it is a relatively healthy cake that I do not feel too guilty about putting away in slightly larger than usual quantities.

3/4 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup cake flour
1/2 cup sugar ( I could not find brown sugar so I used white sugar instead. In the past I have used brown sugar and there is a definite difference in taste and if I had it I would have used brown sugar)
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups grated carrot
1 1/2 tbsp molasses
2 eggs
Juice from 1 orange
zest from 1 orange
handful of raisins
handful of chopped walnuts
1 1/2 tsp vanilla essence

Mix all the dry ingredients together. Add the carrot, eggs, molasses, juice, zest, vanilla essence and oil to the mixture. Mix until the mixture is uniform. Add the raisins and walnuts and stir until they are distributed throughout the mixture. Preheat the oven at 350 F. Grease a 9 inch cake pan and pour the batter into it. Spread if necessary and make sure the mixture is level. Bake in oven for 1 hr and 10 minutes till a knife inserted in the cake comes out clean.


I have been making a host of "relatively healthy" desserts since I find myself eating more and more sweets.


No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...